You have successfully completed Braces journey and are now moving on to maintenance phase! Teeth are biological structures that are sitting in gums and bone. They are constantly working to help us eat, smile, and talk. It is natural for them to move slightly. Retainers are very important to avoid/minimize Teeth Relapse (which is the teeth shifting back towards its original state).
Here are a few tips to maintain that beautiful smile…
How to clean permanent retainers?
Plaque gets trapped easily around the wire and bonded composite, making it difficult to clean in between your teeth.
How often should I wear my Retainers?Research has shown that relapse of tooth positions is the most intense in the 1st year after braces/ Invisalign treatment is complete. There fore, try to wear Retainers as often as possible for the 6 months at least.
Retainer Care Tips
How to clean my removable retainers?
Look out for cracks and traces of wear on your retainers, it may indicate a habit of clenching or grinding your teeth. You might need a firmer and more durable retainer to withstand your grinding tendencies. If you do have this para-functional habit, it is recommended to consider alternative Retainers that can withstand the heavy grinding forces. Please speak to any member of our #SmileTeam.
What happens during a Retainer Review Appointment?
Retainers MUST be brought for every retainer appointment to allow us to check on the following:
1) Any teeth relapse (For small changes, we are able to adjust the retainers to straighten teeth!)
2) Retainer condition and cleanliness (We are able to tighten retainers and send retainers for a deep ultra-sonic clean in our lab)
3) Retainer compliance (We can assess if it’s time to scale down the hours of retainer wear)
4) Dental hygiene (Any dental decay? Gum disease? Bad breath?)
5) Problems in Eruption of wisdom teeth (when applicable)
It was certainly our pleasure to complete your braces journey, we are going to miss you!
See you at your next review appointment!
If you love what we do, kindly share the love by leaving us a review here. Thank you very much!
Dr Poon Kee Hwang & The Team at MyBracesClinic